Thursday, February 6, 2014

Exhibition Formats

The really like the painting, "Marriage of the Virgin" by Kehinde Wiley. Known for portrait painting, Kehinde often tries to make naturalistic paintings of people or messages that he feels are important to convey.



Similar to my art, I want to have a personal connection to my piece. Though I am leaning towards making and animal, I still love the idea of making a portrait of a person whom I admire. Even though it is a smile setting on the wall, I like the boldness it brings from the dark background. The gold frame adds a sense of elegance and playfulness. The three people's emotions can be interpreted in many ways.

A problem I often find when I paint is choosing a background that enhances the focus and doesn't distract the viewers. Though Kehinde backgrounds are colorful and decorative, he uses classic combinations like I saw in the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, MA, to make his painting the center of attention.



Though it may sounds narcissistic, I LOVE being the center of attention and can only hope my piece is one that stands out among the rest. The simple painting by Kehinde has a powerful message. There is something so real about the bond between the three people that captivates my attention. I think that his choices are both instinctive and educated which only make it his final product that more special and amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment